Welcome to the MLFHS Online Shop
Cart 0
Prestwich, Our Lady of Grace RC Church, Baptisms 1889-1923 (Download)

MLFHS Online Shop

Prestwich, Our Lady of Grace RC Church, Baptisms 1889-1923 (Download)


A scanned copy of the original baptism registers 1889-1923 complete with a transcript of the 1,017 baptisms performed and an index to the 4,346 names of children, parents and godparents which appear in the register.

Our Lady of Grace, Prestwich: 1889-1923

The church was founded in 1889.

Fr. David Walshe began a mission here in 1889, having secured the use of the Co-operative Hall for a church and a Sunday school. A school-chapel was opened in 1891 by Bishop H. Vaughan. Largely through the generosity of Mrs. James Whittam, formerly of Bury, the presbytery was built shortly afterwards.

Fr. Joseph Hayes worked here at the turn of the century. In 1910 Fr. James Corkery was appointed and prepared the way for building a church. However, this was a task left to his successor, Fr. W. Browne, who came in 1926, and who served the parish for over twenty years. The new church was opened in 1931.

About this Transcript

The information which is contained in this download has been transcribed from the original registers, scans of which are included. Information has been indexed as written. The originals are held by the Lancashire Record Office at Preston.

Share this Product

More from this collection