MLFHS Online Shop
Fairfield, St. Anne, Baptisms 1856-1908 (Download)Code:
A scanned copy of the original baptism registers 1856-1908 complete with a transcript of the 2,691 baptisms performed and an index to the 12,691 names of children, parents and godparents which appear in the register.
St Anne, Fairfield (Higher Openshaw)
This Mission was established from St Augustine’s, Granby Row in 1846 when a school-chapel was opened to serve the Openshaw district, in 1849 a three-storied building was acquired in Ashton Old Road and the Mission became independent under the charge of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The OMI’s resigned the Mission in 1856 and responsibility was assumed by the diocese until 1861 when the Franciscan Fathers moved in. In 1865 when the Franciscans moved to their new Mission at West Gorton, St Anne’s once more came under the charge of the Salford Diocese. Rev. Richard Power who was Rector 1874-1900 built the church, schools and presbytery – the fine gothic church was opened by Bishop Vaughan, 8 April 1883 and has been in continuous use since.
About this Transcript
The information which is contained in this download has been transcribed from the original registers, scans of which are included. Information has been indexed as written. The originals are held by the Lancashire Record Office at Preston.