MLFHS Online Shop
Manchester, Ancoats, St Michael's RC Church, Baptisms 1877-1917 (Download)Code:
A scanned copy of the original baptism registers 1877-1917 complete with a transcript of the 7,669 baptisms performed and an index to the 34,539 names of children, parents and godparents which appear in the register.
St Michael's RC Church, Ancoats: 1877-1917
A mission was opened in a temporary chapel in 1859 by priests from St. Patrick's, Livesey Street and looked after by them until 1875. Ten years later, the church, on George Leigh Street, was opened. The building was in the early English style and dominated by a fine east window representing the Crucifixion. The Rev. Henry Hill was made the first Rector of the struggling mission followed in 1882 by Fr. John Bramer. Meanwhile, the neighbouring mission of St. Joseph's, Goulden Street, was being administered by Fr. Thomas Byrne who was later made Canon and in 1887, the two missions were joined together under his direction. Canon Byrne became a well-known figure in the parish and remained Rector for twenty years until his death in 1907. He was succeeded by Canon Michael Ryan, who remained in the parish for over forty years. The church was rebuilt in 1956 and was served from St Patricks from 1993 as part of the Team-Ministry. It was used as a base by the Mill Hill Missionaries until 2003, when the church was closed following a compulsory purchase order
The above description is based on information published in "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
About this Transcript
The information which is contained in this download has been transcribed from the original registers, scans of which are included. Information has been indexed as written. The originals are held by the Lancashire Record Office at Preston.