MLFHS Online Shop
Manchester, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, St. John's RC Church, Baptisms 1893-1931 (Download)Code:
A scanned copy of the original baptism registers 1890-1908 complete with a transcript of the 1,008 baptisms performed and an index to the 4,312 names of children, parents and godparents which appear in the register.
St. John's RC Church, Chorlton-cum-Hardy: 1893-1931
The first mission was commenced here in 1892, as a chapel dedicated to St. Peter, in Barlow Moor Road. Father Jerome Vaughan was in charge until 1896. Then for a period, Fr. Paul Dootson took over the chapel. Father Frederick Pozzi Holt worked here until 1916, when Mgr. Joseph Kelly was appointed.
Largely through the generosity of the John Leeming family, the parish saw the building of a new church in 1927. The parish changed the name of its patron when the new church was built, assuming the name of St. John's, no doubt as a tribute to the John Leeming family.
Father Edward McGuinness was parish priest until 1946, and then Father William Sewell came here from his long and distinguished career as Chaplain to the Diocesan Rescue Society. St. John's helped to found the new parishes of St. Teresa's, Firswood, and St. Ambrose, West Didsbury.
The above description is based on information published in "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
About this Transcript
The information which is contained in this download has been transcribed from the original registers, scans of which are included. Information has been indexed as written. The originals are held by the Lancashire Record Office at Preston.