MLFHS Online Shop
Manchester, Miles Platting, Corpus Christi RC Church, Baptisms 1890-1908 (Download)Code:
A scanned copy of the original baptism registers 1890-1908 complete with a transcript of the 3,845 baptisms performed and an index to the 16,162 names of children, parents and godparents which appear in the register.
Corpus Christi RC Church, Miles Platting: Baptisms 1890-1908 (Download)
Corpus Christi was founded in 1889 and the Basilica, on Varley Street, was built in 1907 by the Norbertine Canons. It closed in April 2007.
The Norbertine Canons of the Order of Premontre were once famous in England. The Salford diocese was pleased to help their restoration in this country by inviting the Order to open a mission in Manchester. The mission was opened on Christmas Eve, 1889, by the much beloved Abbot Geudens. Schools and a very fine church were built under his rule. He retired to Belgium in 1913 and died the year following.
In the twentieth century the life of the Priory of Corpus Christi has been largely identified with Abbot Seadon and Abbot Toner. The parish suffered heavily during the air-raids.
The above description is based on information published in "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
About this Transcript
The information which is contained in this download has been transcribed from the original registers, scans of which are included. Information has been indexed as written. The originals are held by the Lancashire Record Office at Preston.