Welcome to the MLFHS Online Shop
Cart 0
Salford, St Boniface's RC Church, Lower Broughton,

Salford Diocesan Archive

Salford, St Boniface's RC Church, Lower Broughton,

Code:
£6.67
£8.00 inc VAT for customers within the EU

St. Boniface's RC Church, Lower Broughton, Salford
Baptisms, Confirmations & Marriages 1892-1915. (CDROM) £8. 00, 95gms.
Transcribed and Edited by L. R. Gregory. In association with the Salford Diocesan Archives.
The Lower Broughton mission was established in January 1892 by Fr Thomas
Chronnnell who rented a house at 7 The Avenue, to serve as a presbytery and temporary church. A room in Broughton Town Hall was later leased as a Mass Centre. Fr Charles Hanrahan succeeded in charge in 1893 and built a school-chapel which was opened in 1895.
Fr Patrick Wren was rector from 1916 and built a new church on the adjoining site, costing more than £6000, this was opened in 1921. The new presbytery was built in 1938 by Fr John Gornall. Fr John Horgan was Parish Priest from 1948, and oversaw the demolition of the 1921 church and its replacement with a new modernist building, opened in April 1961.
Fr Thomas Whelan was Parish Priest from 1965-1981 and oversaw the building of a new social club in 1970, new schools in 1971, and a new youth centre in 1974. The 1970s and 80s saw the parish decimated by inner-city slum clearance removing many old families from the congregation.
Fr Peter Kinsella was the last resident Parish Priest, 2002-2008. Structural problems forced the closure of the 1961 church in 2006 and it was demolished in 2013 with Mass relocated to the neighbouring church-hall. Today St Boniface’s is served from St Sebastian’s, Pendleton.


Share this Product


More from this collection